If I got a dollar for every time someone told me they cannot eat healthy because they like some kind of junk food, I would be a millionaire. Healthy eating is not all or nothing. Just because you enjoy chocolate does not mean you are a food junky. A balanced diet provides just what the name says a balance between healthy and pleasure foods. But do not get me wrong, healthy foods are delightful too.

Nutritionists, dietitians and weight loss experts started advocating a new way to deal with your less healthy cravings. It is called the 80/20 rule. Which means 80% of your calories should be from healthy, beneficial foods and the other 20% is for the unhealthy foods you enjoy like that bottle of soda, scoop of ice cream or small bag of chips. In other words if you consume 2000 calories a day, 1600 calories should be from healthy food and the remaining 400 from junk food.

Use this new way of thinking to your advantage when making your switch to a healthier diet. This goes for yhe kids too. You can enjoy brownies, but instead of having 3 a day you should have one. Healthy eating should not be depriving nor should you feel hungry and unsatisfied all the time. Indulge in that small pastry with your coffee but enjoy the ice cream tomorrow and make sure to fill up on your favorite salad and whole grains.

Making educated choices is healthy, delicious and satisfying. Do not deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy, simply limite them slowly until you reach a point where you can enjoy them and good health at the same time.

Pin It on Pinterest